Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Coin Sex Lab Relate and Review

Coin Sex Lab Relate and Review
 In the lab, we tested how coins can represent gene segregation or meiosis. The coins represented the gene. We labeled the coins with specific capital and lower case letters. We flipped the coins randomly to see what we got. For one part of the lab we used a capital B to represent a bipolar allele and a lower case b to represent a normal allele. The probability of having a bipolar offspring would be 50%. Homozygous is two of the same alleles and heterozygous is two different alleles.
In the dihybrid experiment, we modeled the process of recombination when we combined the results of our coins to make traits for the "offspring". X-linked inheritance will give you traits on the x chromosome and Autosomal alleles are disorders that are genetically linked. Monohybrid is the mating between two people with different alleles. 
The limit of using probability to predict an offspring's traits would be how many possible traits the coins have that represent the "parents". 
This understanding relates to my life because now I know how I got my genes and how my parents received their traits. My grandfather had blue eyes and know I know why none of my mothers' brothers and sisters never got blue eyes. This also relates to my life because if I ever have children I can use the punnett square to determine the probability that my children will have certain traits. 






No comments:

Post a Comment