Friday, May 6, 2016

Unit 9 Reflection

Unit 9 Reflection 

In this unit I have learned about evolution through past species and how us, modern day humans, have a number a traits given to us from past life like fish and reptiles and of course early humans. I did my what on Earth evolved presentation on Homo erectus (My what on Earth evolved project) and I was happy of the knowledge I had gained. In the beginning I was a little worried about how I was going to remember all the information about my species but as I was doing research I realized it was easier than I thought. A critique that I had received during my project was that I should change the tone of my voice at times so I can sound more knowledgeable.

We learned about taxonomic levels which are: Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, & species. Recently they have added domain which is before kingdom and is split into 3 different parts, eukarya, bacteria, and archaea.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Taxonomic_Rank_Graph.svg/2000px-Taxonomic_Rank_Graph.svg.png


Another thing that we learned in unit 9 was about Viruses. Viruses kill or damage cells and they cause the cell to produce toxins. Two different types of viruses are Lytic vs Lysogenic. A lytic infection is when the virus enters the cell makes a copy of itself and then causes the cell to burst. A lysogenic infection is when a virus integrates its DNA into the DNA of the host cell. Down below is a diagram to show the two infections.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Phage2.JPG

Two blog posts that we have written this unit are Invertebrate of your choice and my inner fish reflection. The first reflection was about sponges. The second reflection was about a documentary we watched in class that showed how us modern humans are carrying traits from millions of years ago from the first fish and reptiles. If you would like to learn more click on the link above.

There are three different types of fungi. There is Sac fungi which forms a reproductive sac. Bread molds come in various shapes and are used to make soy sauce. Lastly, there are club fungi which come in various shapes and are fruiting bodies which means that they grow above ground like mushrooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment