Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Egg Macromolecule Lab

In this lab we asked the question Can macromolecules be identified in an egg cell? We found that for the cell membrane, there were polysaccharides and lipids. The polysaccharides turned black and the lipids turned orange. Membranes are made of phospholipids. For the egg white they had all four macromolecules, proteins, lipids, polysaccharides, and monosaccharides. The proteins turned purple and they were their because they are important for growth and development. Also enzymes are for immunity. The lipids turned orange, the polysaccharides turned black, and the monosaccharides turned green. They are all easy for growth and development. The yolk also carried all the macromolecules and they all made proteins. They turned the same colors as for the egg whites.

A few errors that we made during our experiment that may have affected our results were that when I was pouring the egg whites, yolk, and membrane into my test tubes I accidentally used the same pipet for everything but when I realized we weren't supposed to do that I stopped. I don't know if this affected our results but I won't do that next time because it might affect the data. Another error was that one of our table partners more water into the test tubes and it was inaccurate. He had pours either more or less and that might have affected our colors in the results. In future experiments I will definitely be more careful with accuracy because in some labs it can affect your data greatly. We have to be more careful when we read the directions and also try to be as accurate with the water.

The purpose of this lab was to show what kinds of macromolecules are present in different parts of the egg. I don't have much to relate this lab to but I can relate this with previously working with eggs in cooking. In this lab we went in depth on the different parts of the egg. Mr. Orre was saying that there is a thin cell membrane around the yolk and thats what keeps it together. I remembered seeing the membrane during cooking when I cracked the egg and there was a shiny layer over the yolk which now I know is called the membrane. Overall from this lab I learned a lot about eggs and what things affect them. I also learned about the different types of macromolecules in the egg and what their purpose is. I am definitely more familiar with the roles of macromolecules and that could help me on a test.

No comments:

Post a Comment